August 20, 2015
POSITION AVAILABLE: COMMUNICATIONS INTERN (Unpaid)
Description: The Louisville Sustainability Council seeks a dynamic, self-starter to assist with social media, marketing and communications efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of marketing while working for a nonprofit organization.
About Us: The Louisville Sustainability Council (LSC) promotes a healthy environment, strong economy, and the well-being of the people living in Louisville, KY. Our mission is to engage and collaborate with the community to facilitate the achievement of Louisville’s sustainability goals. We coordinate regional sustainability efforts by hosting events, connecting partners, collecting and providing data, and facilitating community Action Teams.
- Schedule and coordinate regular Communications Committee meetings with LSC Board Members, staff, and volunteers
- Collaborate, prioritize, delegate, execute, and manage all communication-related tasks. the intern will be responsible for managing the involvement of LSC communications committee volunteers
- Update and maintain LSC’s social media presence, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram updates
- Develop, write, and send the LSC’s regular eNewsletter, with assistance from LSC Communications Committee
- Assist in drafting, distributing and pitching press releases, media alerts and other stories related to LSC activities
- Design flyers, graphics, e-invitations, and other marketing material for events hosted by LSC and for activities developed by the LSC Action Teams
- Develop a content archive of photographs, videos, and stories
- Update the LSC website as needed
- Assist Executive Director with updating the Membership Database as necessary
- Engage with community organizations, city officials, general public and donors with consistent messaging about the LSC’s mission
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Project management experience
- Proficient in social media tools and platforms
- Proficient in relevant design software. Knowledge of HTML and graphic design a plus.
- Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., English, Marketing/Communications, or Public Relations)
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with press and community contacts
- Self-motivated, strong organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task, meet deadlines, work independently, and as part of a team.
- Passion for sustainability
- Located in Louisville, KY.
Required Education Level: Bachelor’s degree, or currently attending college or equivalent experience
Pay Rate/Hour: This is an Unpaid/Volunteer internship. LSC will work with your college/university as needed to facilitate class credit.
Number of Hours per Week: 8-12 hours/week, mostly working remotely but including some in person meetings.
Start Date: ASAP, requires 6 month commitment
Primary Contact: Emily Chandler, Interim Executive Director
If interested in this position please e-mail a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.