The Louisville Sustainability Council’s Green Economy Action Team shares this opportunity to support HB229, the Clean Energy Opportunity Act. Comment through March 5, 2015
What is Happening?
On Thursday March 5, 2015, the KY House Energy and Tourism Committee will hold a hearing on HB229, the Clean Energy Opportunity Act, to establish a Renewable Energy Portfolio Standard and feed-in tariff to encourage renewable energy development in Kentucky.
What Does this Mean for Sustainability?
- A successful outcome will move HB 229 out of committee to the House floor for discussion and a vote.
- The Renewable Energy Portfolio Standard (RPS) will set a goal for increasing KY’s proportion of renewable energy in the energy mix (e.g., 5% by 2018, or similar).
- The feed-in tariff will give a higher reimbursement for net-metered solar energy purchased to homeowners and businesses to install solar.
- Greater diversification of KY’s energy mix to Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency will increase the security of KY’s economy, and improve health and quality of life.
How Can I Take Action?
- Call the toll-free legislative message line in Frankfort at 1-800-372-7181 to request that your own elected representative, as well as all members of the Energy and Tourism committee, support HB229.
- Plan to attend the committee hearing on March 5th, 10am in room 131 of the Capitol Annex in Frankfort. Ask as many family, friends, neighbors and co-workers to come along as are interested! Contact email@example.com to be put in touch with others planning to carpool from Louisville.
- For more details and supporting info about the bill, visit the Kentucky Sustainable Energy Alliance website at http://KySEA.org.
How Else Can I Get Involved?
Find out more about LSC Action Teams at http://louisvillesustainabilitycouncil.org/action-teams/