Job Title: STAR Intern
Dates: January – June 2015
Hours to complete: 200
Compensation: Small stipend
INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION — Using Louisville’s Sustainability Rating to Catalyze Community Action.
The Louisville Sustainability Council (LSC) seeks two interns to assist in developing communications and materials to educate, focus, and inspire local community action on sustainability. One intern will focus on developing communication vehicles for sharing the STAR project and ratings, and one will focus on developing the content.
The interns will work directly with the Executive Director of the Louisville Sustainability Council and the LSC’s Data and Communications Committees, as well as the five LSC Community Action Teams and the Metro Louisville Office of Sustainability to develop and implement a strategy to best communicate STAR results to the community. The interns will be expected to become well-versed in the STAR Technical Guide, rating framework and process, and in Metro Louisville’s sustainability plan: Sustain Louisville.
The STAR Community Rating System is the first standardized national framework for evaluating the sustainability of cities. In the spring of 2015 Louisville will achieve its first 3rd party verified STAR Community rating. The rating framework includes 7 goal areas, 44 objective areas, and hundreds of related outcomes and actions. This effort will provide Louisville with sustainability metrics and ratings for bench-marked comparison to other communities across the nation. The LSC and the Metro Office of Sustainability will use STAR to showcase gaps and catalyze community action to close them. More information about STAR can be found at www.starcommunities.org.
The interns’ work will provide significant contribution to the development and execution of the LSC’s STAR communications strategy, which may include:
- A redeveloped LSC website to showcase detailed STAR results, and alignment with LSC Action Teams and member efforts.
- Recommended changes to Sustain Louisville to align with the STAR framework
- Recommended metrics and language to be used by the LSC Action Teams for alignment with STAR and Sustain Louisville
This project will provide in-depth experience understanding and working with vast amounts of information and data, communicating it for public consumption, and catalyzing community engagement. This unique opportunity will allow the interns to collaborate with experienced sustainability professionals in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors, as well as with members of our community that are new to sustainability.
- Graduate coursework in communications, marketing, environmental studies, data analysis, sustainability, or other related field is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with teams, both in person and remotely
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to a non-technical audience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute professional communications preferred,
- Knowledge or experience in sustainability and community organizing preferred.
- Experience living in Louisville, KY preferred.
- The ideal candidate will be comfortable working across sectors, including businesses, educational institutions, nonprofit organizations, and government agencies, as well as private citizens.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest and resume to LSC Interim Executive Director Emily Chandler at email@example.com by January 15, 2015.